Rev. John Adams
1. There is only one Presence and one Power active in the universe and in our lives, God the Good, Omnipotent.
2. We are spiritual beings created in God’s image. The spirit of God is within each one of us.
3. We create our lives through the power of thought.
4. We align with God and access the Christ power through prayer and meditation.
5. We transform our lives by putting these principles into practice.
The Basic Tenets of Unity Teachings
1. God, Divine Mind, is the Source and Creator of all. There is not other enduring power. The nature of God is absolute good; therefore, all manifestations partake of good. What is called “evil” is a limited or incomplete expression of God or Good. Evil’s origin is ignorance.
2. We are spiritual beings, ideas in the Mind of God, created in God’s image and likeness. The ideal expression for every human being is the pattern every person is seeking to bring forth. Each individual manifests the Christ in his or her own unique fashion. The perfect expression of the Christ is, therefore, different for each person.
3. Jesus was a special person in history who expressed perfection and thereby became the Christ, or Jesus Christ. He was a Teacher who demonstrated the importance of thoughts, words, and deeds in shaping the life and world of the individual.
4. Jesus’ teaching was based on prayer, which to Him was conscious communion with God. Preparation for prayer involves the use of the spoken word, the creative power of God, which is made practical through denials and affirmations.
Unity teaches that repeated use of statements of Truth (denials and affirmations) establishes right patterns of thinking, feeling, and acting. This is one way individuals use the creative power of God to take dominion over mind, body, and affairs.